I know that summer doesn't officially begin for another few weeks, but for me, Memorial Week end signifies the beginning of the season. I love summertime, as do most people and want to celebrate surviving another winter! I love almost everything about summer: the warmth, the sunshine, the green trees and grass, the flowers blooming everywhere, the beach, the pool, dining outdoors, the lighter clothes... I like putting away the crock pot and roasting pans and firing up the grill instead. I switch from my morning hot coffee to an iced coffee and switch from wearing cashmere to linen. So, why not extend the celebration of the new season to our decor?
Here are a few ways to celebrate summertime in your home:
1. Have slipcovers made in either white or a fun cotton print for your upholstered furniture. It will feel cooler. Here is Suzanne Rheinstein's living room in winter:
And here it is in its summer incarnation wearing striped slipcovers. Doesn't it look cooler and fresher?
2. Replace your carpet with jute mat or a striped indoor outdoor rug.
Or, leave the floors bare:
3. If you can't afford slipcovers and you can't change your rugs or even store them, try changing your accessories for lighter, summery feeling things.
4. Take down drapes and leave the windows bare (if possible!)
5. Bring the indoors out and the outdoors in. Use indoor pieces on your porch to make it a comfortable outdoor living room.
And bring the outdoors in with flowers, fruit trees and collected bits of nature from the woods and beach. Create new tablescapes with these things.
6. Change out your bedding for white linen and cotton.
Do you have any summer rituals that make your home feel like summer?